Thursday, January 13, 2011

Writing Workshop Session 1 - Children's Picture and Chapter Books

So tonight is the first of a five-week writing workshop that I put on for the press that I work for during the day. Here is a run down of what I'll be discussing:
  • How do you take a concept and make it into a story?
  • Who is your audience, and how do you determine?
  • Creating a story problem and characters
  • Beginning, middle, and end
  • The all important Hook
  • Working with the story problem/plot
  • How do you develop believable characters
Since I have soo much to say, I'm only going to tackle a few of the ideas posted above.

So, how do you take a concept and make it into a story?
We all have great story ideas, but it's hard to actually turn those ideas into a storyline that is engaging to readers. But there are good ideas and bad ideas. An example of a bad idea would be the following story:

There was a little girl who wished that there would be snow on Christmas.
She wished and wished, but still there was no snow.
She went to bed on Christmas Eve and asked Santa to bring snow.
When she woke up, there was snow.

Okay, so that's pretty lame. You can say it; it won't hurt my feelings.

What's lacking in the above story is a believable story problem. Sure, a little girl wants snow and she thinks that by asking Santa for snow, she'll get snow.
But is it really engaging? No.
Is it believable? Nope.
Do we have all of the mechanics of a story - story problem, beginning, middle, end, dialogue, action, point of view? No, no, no, and a big fat NO!

We can all agree that the above four lines are not a story in the publishing world.

Could we make the above into a story? Sure. I guess. But we're going to need a beginning, middle, and an end. Most of all, we need a central problem or question and believable characters.

What is a story question/problem?
This is the whole meat of the story. Here are some examples from some of the most recent NPM books:
  • Will a new student at school be able to shed his bullying-type behavior and adopt The Promise?
  • Will a new addition to a family be able to learn about bucketfilling and bucketdipping?
  • Does a person's clothes/accessories represent their true identity?
By reading the above, you get the idea. I challenge you to take a few books from your bookshelf and write out the story problem. They could be books that you've written or read. But go ahead and do that. Now. And yes, really. I'll wait.

Oh, you're back. What did you find? Were you able to figure out the story question?
Here are what I think the story question is for a two books I've read recently:
Hunger Games: Will Katniss, and her family, survive?
The Graveyard Book: Will Bod find out who killed his family and leave the cemetery?

Obviously, these are very simplistic story questions (what I wrote out above, not what the author used to create the story), and both books actually have more themes/concepts running through them. But in simple terms, these are pretty much the heart of each story.

When you come up with a story idea, take the time to figure out what will be the obstacles that the MC will need to overcome. By doing this, you'll automatically begin to develop your story question.

Another topic that goes along with story question/problem is audience. Who do you see reading your book? That person/reader is your audience. With the audience in mind, the writer needs to be aware of word choice, character development, setting, and their story problem. If you're writing a picture book and the main character is eight, the dialogue should match an eight-year-old (unless another character is speaking.) The eight-year-old MC wouldn't be smoking, dangling from an open window on a high rise, or driving a car in a high speed chase. Also, the MC wouldn't be telling people they have "tenacity" or that they'd "prefer to eat liver and onions with capers".

Your audience needs to be able to identify with your MC. They need to be wanting the MC to win the race, make the team, or be accepted by a new friend --> whatever the story problem.

With knowing who your audience is, the writer will be able to create more believable characters who will then be highly identifiable with the reader. See the circle?

Although the writing workshops tend to lean toward writing for children, the same concepts are used in writing for adults.

Next time I'll talk about The Hook.

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Kris!

    These are all very valuable points for making a story both believable and interesting for the reader from the beginning to the end.

    The hook is an imperative part of creating a story. First, you want to make the reader interested in finding out the solution to the main character's problem. In other words, if your hook is not intriguing, no one is going to want to invest the time in your characters because they either don't relate to the main character's problem or the problem is so trivial that it's not worth reading on.

    While brainstorming hooks for my stories, I have to keep in mind who my audience is (YA readers). Is this a hook or subject that YA readers will care about? Then comes my ability to make my characters' actions, dialogue, etc. believable, so that my readers can relate.

    The story must ALWAYS continue forward, working toward the main character's goal and keeping the reader questioning along the way.

    This is what I look for in a book when I'm reading and writing.

    Thanks for letting me share my thoughts :)
    T.H. Browning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, this is really helpful info. I bet you have a lot of happy workshop participants as a result!

    I like thinking about the story question -- it helps me to clarify what it is I'm trying to do, and keeps me on track when my characters see a shiny object they want to check out instead of heading down the path they're on. LOL

    Thanks for sharing.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kris. I can't wait to see the post on the hook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taryn, Thanks for stopping by and sharing your wisdom on the elusive Hook. I'll give you my take on it next time. :)

    Audience is something we spoke about in detail last night. Authors always need to keep in mind their audience when they are dealing with word choice, setting, dialogue, action vs. narrative, ... so many things. And yes, if the character, dialogue, action, WHATEVER is NOT moving the story forward, get rid of it. I touched on that subject a bit last night, and their eyes got really big. Authors don't like to cut out characters, but sometimes you have to.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I've even told participants to print out their story question/problem and post it where they can see it while writing. It's a good reminder to stay on course.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Clarissa. I plan to post before next Thursday. Posting on the same day as the workshop is a bit tight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an exceptional workshop, Kris! And you're absolutely right, even though we must always keep our audience in mind, these concepts are as essential to writing for adults as for children. There must be a central story question and a beginning, middle and end. Even though I'm an inveterate pantser, I always start out with an overarching question. I may not know the answer at the outset, but it's what guides me along the path.

    Looking for to The Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a whole collection of first chapters I wrote that didn't go anywhere because the setup was a situation rather than a story. If A happened, then the story was over; if B happened, then the story was over, and there was no option C. In essence, there was no problem -- only a single event that led nowhere. Developing the problem -- the "why" behind the event -- made all the difference.

    Good luck with the workshop!

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say