Monday, January 23, 2012

My 2012 Goals


The end of 2011 really had me thinking about what I wanted as a writer and as a woman. I'd just started a new job for a non-profit and was unsure of my role. My job at the publisher was continuing as always, so no changes there. I was feeling very overwhelmed with life between two jobs (the non-profit especially because I loved it and it becoming more than I had ever thought possible), a husband, two kids, two dogs, a house that was consistently dirty, and a manuscript that was supposed to be finished. My wonderful agent was having no luck selling any of my manuscripts, and my self-published book had very slow sales.

Being a mother just makes me naturally want to take care of others. This is good and this is bad. The other people love that about me - especially since it spills over into other areas that have nothing to do with my family. But this is bad because I rarely have time to take care of myself.

2012 is the year of Kris taking care of herself.

Here are my 2012 goals:
1. Join a bible study (done)
2. Make my writing a priority
3. Only say "yes" to opportunities that I really want, not say "yes" because I feel I have to
4. Spend quality time with my husband and kids outside of sports (this will be hard!)
5. Meditate
6. Practice yoga
7. Forgive myself if I don't get everything done (another hard one!)
8. Cultivate the friendships I have that are meaningful to me
9. Remember to say "I love you" even to my friends
10. To not worry


I think the hardest one for me with be #3. I like to be involved and many times will volunteer for something or accept someone's request because I feel it's my "duty". That gets me in a lot of trouble - I end up doing things that I really don't want to. By giving myself permission to only say yes when I want to, I think the quality of my life, and of my family's, will increase.

There are several of us who are taking this pledge. To see the full list and to give encouragement throughout the year, please visit Sheri's blog.

16 comments:

  1. I Kris, first time visitor. Great to meet you. I can see the trend of spending more time with the family. That's my top priority too. Good luck with your very busy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen! Thanks for stopping by. Family is such a huge part of my life - I want to feel good about being with them and not guilty that I should be doing other things. That's where #3 comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, you highlighted a perfect one!! I'm so adding that one to our collective writer's pledge! Thanks for participating. I'll post our full pledge in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri, I've already declined two opportunities this year that I knew would not help me reach my goals. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, We as women tend to take on a whole lot more than we should. I know you can achieve #3 b/c--after a great deal of effort and time--I came to that place. It is still hard to say no to some fundraisers and whatnot, but I've found I am much happier as a result.
    Wonderful goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You chose an excellent one to highlight. That's a tough one. I do the same thing, often way over extending myself. Best of luck with your goals this year, sounds like you're off to an excellent start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT goals, Kris! I only wrote one (I think I did it wrong...), but I'll steal a few of yours. The Yoga one, the one about prioritizing writing, the one about saying I love you... OK, all of them--LOL! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris, these are wonderful, well-balanced goals. I especially like forgiving yourself for not getting everything done. Good luck with all of your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your highlighted goal. How often do we let that happen? (A lot!)
    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan~Thanks for the affirmation. It's hard for me to say no, but I'm learning.

    Heather~Thanks, Heather!

    LTM~I may have done too many, but I felt like I should put them out there as a way of keeping myself accountable.

    Yelena~I hope I can keep that goal. I'm very hard on myself when I make mistakes.

    Kelly~Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good goals! Number 10 is a huge issue for me. I worry about everything. Good luck with all of your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your highlighted goal is soooo important. For some reason, I a lot of people, especially women it seems, have the problem of saying "yes!" Last year, I took on two PTA chairs. I haven't quite regretted it...yet. But it's definitely more than I bargained for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it weren't for sports I'm not sure I'd see my kids at all? :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent list of very reachable goals. I like that you have incorporated mind, body and spirit into a well balanced 2012.

    I missed the boat on this and feel terrible, but will post mine in a few hours, late. I hope you will stop by to read.

    I am a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to all your goals! And don't worry, you're on your way to reaching all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great goals!! Good luck achieving them!
    By the way, I have an award for you over at my blog here: http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com/2012/02/dream-launcher-award.html

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say