Friday, December 10, 2010

Why Can't I Talk?

So, I'm a writer, right? I should be able to have an intelligent conversation, where I'm able to express exactly what's on my mind.

That sooo didn't happen yesterday. And, I was on camera! Let me tell you the story.

The middle school where my oldest attends had a special meeting where a member of Michigan CSI (Cyber Safety Initiative) spoke about the dangers of the internet. It was intriguing and appalling at the same time. Do you know that 69% of teens receive messages on the internet from people they don't know in real life? And that 89% of solicitations of minors are made in chatrooms and through IM? Disgusting.

The entire presentation gave parents tools to use to keep their child safe while surfing the internet highway. It was all good stuff, and I took away a lot of knowledge.

A cameraman from our local NBC affiliate was there. He interviewed our principal and recorded the presentation. Afterward, he chose ME to interview. Mind you, I hadn't showered, had barely put any make-up on, and I'm sure I looked like I'd just rolled out of bed. But that wasn't the worst part.

I couldn't talk. At least it felt like I couldn't string words together to make a complete and coherent sentence. At one point, I grabbed the man's hand and said, "I'm sorry. I'm just so nervous!" That should've been his queue to get another parent to interview and dump me! But he was very nice and told me I was doing fine.

What I don't understand is that I feel like I write so much better than I can speak. Is it because my mouth can't keep up with my brain, but my fingers can? Is it because sitting in front of a computer is way less threatening than speaking? I think it's because I can re-read and edit what I write. Once the words come out of my mouth, they're gone and sometimes can't be taken back.

Mind you, I do have the ability to speak at great lengths. Just ask my husband or either of my kids.

So, part of me wants to record the morning show for the next few days to see if I ramble on and on. Another part of me wants to forget about it!

This proved one thing - if the book my agent is vigorously shopping and gets published, I'm going to need media training big-time for any sort of interview! Sheesh!

ps. Thanks for following me over to the new blog site. I'm in the process of having my website updated and Adventures that Score! is my tagline.

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I have exactly the same problem. Give me an argument (that I don't even agree with) and I can write a twenty-page essay on it in a few hours, but ask me in conversation to talk about why my favorite book of all time is really my favorite, and I become a deer in headlights.

    I personally think it's just that we get so comfortable with ourselves, wrapped up in our own little worlds, that we forget how to communicate with "the outside."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I couldn't have said it better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My day job is in radio and I've found that people who think they did terribly in an interview usually did far better than they imagine, while people who consider themselves "fascinating interviews" are usually a bore and a nightmare! See? I didn't even have to see it and I know you were brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel your pain, Kris. I need oxygen when I'm in front of a crowd, but ask me to tell a few dirty jokes up there, and suddenly I'm Rita Rudner!!

    Great blog. You'll love Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelia, I don't even think I'll Tivo any of the morning shows to catch me on camera. I'm hoping they'll just delete it all. But thanks for your vote of confidence. I did, at one point, settle down a bit, but then remembered the camera and got all breathy again!

    Liz, I'm fine in front of a crowd when I know what I'm talking about. I love presenting at writer's workshops. But this was different. He just asked questions and I felt like I had to sound intelligent. I'm sure I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly how you feel, Kris. Some years ago I attended a press conference that dealt with UFO's. It was during the X Files reign and I was fascinated by the subject. Unfortunately, the speakers were all crazy, so one of the TV journalists turned the camera on me and asked if I believed in extra-terrestrial life. I stood there like a deer in the headlights (pardon the cliche, if I had time, I'd come up with something better).
    Mary Moreno, hiding behind Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary! That's hilarious...but you didn't tell us what you said - did you say anything? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say