Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Writer Limbo

I'm not currently working on any project.

There. I said it. I'm being brutally honest, here, give me a break. : )

And, it's not because I have writer's block or anything. Far from it. I'm bursting with ideas for the next book in a new series I started writing.

But as my newly-nominated "Agent of the Year" agent has told me, don't waste time on the next book. Actually, I think her words were not to waste time on writing a new book 1 for this series (I had mentioned doing this in the event that the current book 1 that she is shopping around isn't picked up.) She doesn't like wasting anything, especially time. I'm with her on this one. Why write a new book 1 or even a book 2 in the event that the original book 1 doesn't even sell. Then, I would end up writing a new book 1 because I love these characters and the concept I've come up with in telling this story.

Okay, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Do you ever feel like you're in writing limbo? Wanting to work on something, actually itching to plop down in front of the keyboard and let your fingers fly? This time of year --with the cold winds and bright, snow-covered trees--makes me want to curl up and read. Not write. (Honesty, remember?)

How do you deal with the stop-wait-and wait some more part of this industry? Do you just charge along, working on new projects? Or are you like me -- inching my way through book ideas, but only working on them when given the go-ahead?

2 comments:

  1. Kris, I am actually mentally going back and forth between two different projects right now, partly because I'm in the "waiting room" too. LOL I love them both, though, so I'll just have to pick one and hope it's the right one to spend my time on!

    Donna Cummings
    @BookEmDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I charge along, always working on something! Right now I'm doing 1,500 words a day for the draft of my WIP, and after that spending a few hours on world-building/plotting for a YA Urban Fantasy so that I'm ready to start on the draft when I'm done editing my current WIP. Creating new characters is always fun, and you might end up loving them just as much or more than the characters from your other book (at least that's what always happens with me :)

    I recommend just starting something completely new! Just put down notes for your ideas, and it will start coming together :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say