Thursday, September 29, 2011

Completely off the topic of writing

Okay, so I have to say this because it's bugging me...what is up with all of these new musicians who feel that they need to state their name at the beginning of their song? Is it because they are afraid that no one will know who they are if they don't include their name? Or maybe, they just have that big of an ego that they have to have the world sing their name?

I have Sirius XM and I listen to Hits 1 on 2, channel 3 or 10 (can't remember what the names of channel 3 and 10 are for the moment), and also listen to the 80s, 90s, Alt Nation, Rewind, etc. (love me some old punk and alt music). Channels 2 and 3 play mostly the same stuff, and 10 plays songs from the 2000s. But what is the phenom of singers having their name in the song lyrics. And why does this bug me so much?

Do you notice this or is it just me?

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm... haven't come across this yet. But I listen to Pandora and it's usually classical and or film scores. I know, I'm getting old.
    When I wanna rock out I listen to CDs I already have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pk~ I love music - old and new - so I've gotten myself hooked on Sirius. But man, some of those new songs are stupid because they start out ..."Jason Derulo...." or whomever is singing. STUPID!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped listening to radio when it seemed to be more political and advertisements than music. My husband keeps me up to date with current music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I haven't noticed that. Hmmm . . . I'll have to listen closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan~With Sirius, there are no ads. It drives me crazy when I listen to local radio.

    Janet~It happens a lot with pop music and usually at the very beginning of the song. Perhaps local radio stations are not playing that part. Sirius does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree and my kids laugh at me, but as soon as I hear a name, I change the station.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean! It's pretty annoying when people do that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! Jason Derulo is the first to come to mind. I guess I probably wouldn't even know who he is if he didn't do that. Could you imagine doing that with our writing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita~ As soon as I hear the name, I roll my eyes!

    Jess~It seems more and more are including their names. I think it's dumb.

    Coleen~ I think Jason Derulo was the first one that I noticed. Now, there are a ton. That would be too funny to include our name, but it so wouldn't work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know--Jason Derulo! Ugh.

    But I see you also listed Alt Nation. What drives me even MORE insane than commercials on channels 11 or 12 (I pay for this so I DON'T have commercials!) is listening to the AltNation dj, Madison, sing. Stop singing and play music, please! I change channels when I hear her come on...

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say