Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's your favorite social media outlet?

Websites
Facebook
Twitter
Blogs
Online forums and email loops

The internet, and specifically social media has brought the world together. Literally. We can watch the Superbowl in our home, yet share Tweets and FB status updates with any one who is connected. At home alone watching The Oscars? You're not alone if you've got your smartphone (iPod, iPad, etc.) on  your lap and you're logged into Twitter.

With published (and unpublished) authors now more accessible than ever, I'm curious to know which social media site people flock to.

I love Twitter. I can follow anyone I want and am able to read what's on their mind. From pubbed authors, agents, unpubbed authors, illustrators, screenwriters, and editors, I can learn so much about the publishing industry just by reading the timeline. It doesn't hurt to have a few celebs, columnists, artsy, and regular people in the timeline as well. Sometimes I'll tweet someone and they'll respond. That's always a plus.

Blogs are also a great tool. I can visit, leave a comment, and check back to see what's going on with the discussion.

 Facebook, for me right now, is good for connecting with friends and family. I'm "friends" with many authors who I don't personally know. FB is easy to use and I like the run down of status updates. Many post the same thing on Twitter, but if you aren't watching the Twitter timeline feed constantly, you may miss important announcements.

I think the best thing about social media is that it opens up discussion. We writers can be solitary individuals. We spend so much time in our heads that it's good to be able to "talk" with other writers, even if it's just online.

What's your favorite social media outlet?