Monday, May 16, 2011

It's Monday...do you know where your story is?

How many of you write every day?

I wish I had that luxury. I say luxury because right now, it's a luxury for me when I can set aside a good block of time to write. I have to say, "Today I'm writing. No working. No answering emails. No phone calls." I can't write for an hour and then go about other business. My brain does not work that way.

I can't write every day either. I have other obligations to attend to daily. Perhaps someday it will just be me and my writing. Oh, and housework. Ugh. But for now, I try to spend 1-2 days during the week writing. Once hockey is over (which is this week), my weekends are freer, so I can write on Saturdays.

When I don't write every day, I have to review what I've already written. This has its pros and cons. The biggest pro is that I'll edit what I've written. Usually by the time I'm done with a project, I'll only have to do one hard edit and one soft edit. (Hard edit is a printout, soft edit is after I've input all of my hard edits, then I do a re-read on screen.)

The biggest con is that I have to get myself back into the story. Most of the time that isn't hard for me to do. Occasionally, I have to work at it.

Those who have read this blog before will notice I use the phrase "word chunks" - that's when the words come out in fits and spurts, chunky. I sometimes experience word chunks in the beginning of a new writing day. If it continues, I stop. The words aren't flowing. I hate word chunks.

So...what about you...do you write every day?

2 comments:

  1. Not every day but about 5 days a week on average. There's definitely a rhythm to my writing and if I step away for too long its hard to refocus.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce~ I would kill to be able to write 5 days on average a week. I just don't have the time, with my other job and other responsibilities. I would change that for sure if I had writing deadlines.

    Manda~ Thanks for stopping by. Nice to know someone's getting something out of my ramblings!

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say