Friday, August 19, 2011

What keeps you going?

I'm not sure if it's the time of year or what, but I've seen a lot of posts about not giving up as a writer.

Either it's the fact that there's been no word from editors/publishers, that the contracts being offered stink because of the state of the industry, or perhaps a slew of rejects were sent out and the writer is feeling the pain. Pk Hrezo had a great post about not giving up, featuring the movie Soul Surfer and it's true story about Bethany Hamilton.

As our agency has been told by our wonderful and fearless leader, Christine Witthohn, summer is a time where editors and publishers have shortened hours and take more vacations. That gives an explanation about why it's taking so long to hear back on submissions. Sort of. The economy is horrible, and editors are either leaving or being let go.

But what about if you've been out on submission and FINALLY hear back - but it's a no?

Even though publishers and book seller see books as business, that's not how writers see them as. Books are our babies and rejection of our little ones hurts us. We feel it's a reflection of us as a person - just as most parents feel the bad behavior of their children is a reflection of them as parents and people.

I wonder if it would be better for writers if their unpublished, on-submission manuscripts could be seen as business tools. Maybe if we looked at it that way, the slowness of the industry or the rejections wouldn't hurt so badly.

Maybe I'm living in a dream world.

What do you think? How do you keep going?

13 comments:

  1. I haven't sent my book out yet (still editing!) but I think when I DO send it out, I know I'll most likely be rejected the first time anyway! I've never written a novel before, or even a short story so I guess I'm just expecting it. Of course, I won't let THAT get me down! Sometimes you've got to fail a million times before you succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my age I've had several careers and now I've nothing to prove. But it is amazing, I still have the same fears of not succeeding, just like everyone else, and urge myself to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jess~ That's a good attitude to have - to not let rejection get you down. Just be sure that before you send it out, that you've had a great critique partner go over it with you.

    @Carole~ I think it's human nature, no matter how old we are, to have fears of not succeeding. It's wonderful to have that inner drive to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that mention, Kris! Very cool!
    i think we all feel the weight of rejection and or failure at times. When we slave over every word of a ms and query and then a standard form rejection is sent out, it's like a stab in the heart. And you're right, we have to change the way we look at it. and embrace failure as a teacher.
    How do I keep going? By turning my attention on what I DO have, instead of what I don't. My kids are great for teaching me what's really important in life. Everything else is just extra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The great thing about writing is that there isn't one season or one shot. Striving for creative fulfillment is a lifelong journey. People will always be hungry for stories so the magic moment of success is always waiting out there.

    I read the first chapter of SAVING REDWIND to my class. They are smitten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pk~ Great points. We are not totally defined by our writing. We have more in our lives that give us great joy. It's important to remember those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Leslie~ I agree! If one story doesn't work, we can continue to write other ones and continue to hone our craft.

    And, I'm ecstatic to hear that your class "is smitten" with Saving Redwind! What a joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you're living in a dream world at all. I think of my writing as having a creative side and a business side. When I'm on the business side, I try to put aside my emotions and just focus on research and submissions (easier said than done sometimes).
    And I think there are ebbs and flows in writing. I worked really hard for about six years, not so much this past year, but as soon as the kids get back to school, I know I'll be back at the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea. I have many 'tools.' :)
    You are definitely not living in a dream. I like what Beth said. I've learned a valuable lesson in the last few weeks when it comes to the business side of writing. Sometimes these lessons are hard to learn but we continue and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Beth~ I think it's healthy to look at your writing as having those two sides. It also puts the entire process in perspective. I also agree that there are ebbs and flows with writing. I tend to either write a lot and not at all. I need to learn to pace myself, but when the words are flowing that's hard.

    @Ciara~ We all have to learn those lessons, I think, so we have a greater appreciation when the "yes" does finally come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rejections always sting, but each rejection is one step closer to that book deal. You only need 1 publisher to say yes, not all of them. I try to remember that.

    Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Rachel~ Great perspective!! That's what I keep telling myself - just one needs to love it and say, "We want it!" Thanks for the follow...popping over to your blog now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Newest Follower, here, and part of the campaign. Glad to have found you! :)

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say