Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wordy Wednesday

As an editor and writer, words are a big deal to me. Kinda goes with the territory. Ever since I was a little kid, words fascinated me. In 4th grade -not to toot my own horn or anything, but just as an example - I could spell antidisestablishmentarianism. I could take the word and chunk it up within seconds. It was weird. Guess I should've known then that I was a writer. Took me a really long time to figure that one out!

Other than that crazy word, there are words that I love. Other than the usual ones that evoke (there's one) a certain sense (peace, love, joy, harmony, hockey <--threw that one in to see if you're paying attention), there are other words that make me feel gooey (another one!) or just sound cool.

Here are a few of my current favorite words:
evoke
gooey
seriously
implode
contrary
privy


Are you this crazy about words, or am I all alone here? Wouldn't be the first time! What are you favorite words?


15 comments:

  1. I was a linguistics major in college because I loved words so much! I wanted to know everything about them. One of my favorites is: linger

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kmckendry - Linger is a GREAT word! I was into Romance Linguistics in college, but didn't major in it. Majored in Romance Languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, I'm a total word nerd! I love combining them to make new ones. I love the sound of them. I love learning their meanings, and how that can change over the years (and centuries).

    As for my favorite words? Mmm. How about "book deal"? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Donna, yes those two words, book deal, are two of my favorite when combined! Guess most of us writers are word nerds <-love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My most favorite word ever is probably... 'silhouette'.idk I really like the way the word LOOKS as well as sounds! (especially the silent H!)
    I really like the word 'darkness' as well and in my story i use a lot of metaphorical language including 'darkness' but the word ITSELF i don't think is that cool. I think it's the connotation you get from it that makes it good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jess, I agree that there are some words that I may not particularly like, but I do love the image or connotation it evokes. Silhouette is a great word. That brings up many images for me. Darkness is good as well, but I'm like you - it's not that cool as a word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not alone. One of my favorites is "serendipity".

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Isis~ That's another of my favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love so many words: evoke, evocative, atavastic. I especially love descriptive verbs such as slogged, pinwheeled, lunged. There are so many wonderful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Susan, slogged-yes! I also like shizzle. Just the sound of it makes me go all squirmy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, I just used "gooey" and "implode" in my writing recently!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lydia, great writing minds think alike! haha...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! I just realized I spelled implode wrong! Shame on me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the word evoke, captivate and parchment, really random lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Alyssa, those are great words, too. I like the way captivate rolls out of my mouth. Parchment is just fun to say. :)

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say