Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Boy-Based

Again keeping in line with the genre I write, I thought I'd spend a few minutes talking about boy-based middle grade fiction. Boy-based means that the main character is a boy and the storyline reflects what boys would be more interested in as opposed to girls. But---that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any girls in the story.

The Percy Jackson and Harry Potter series are both examples of boy-based fiction. They both have adventures that are geared more toward boys, but both stories also feature girl characters as well.

Why is boy-based fiction so important? There are studies that show a drop in reading interest in boys during the elementary years and reading tests from the U.S. Dept. of Education show that girls score higher than boys at every age. Reluctant readers tend to be boys. That's why Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Captain Underpants series are so popular (and I bet why they were written - to help those reluctant boy readers get interested in something.)

I'm in no way dissing girls. Hey! I am one. But, I've always been a reader. My oldest son is a reluctant reader, and that is why I write boy-based fiction - for kids like him who need to be interested in reading. Because if you can't read, you won't succeed in life.

What's your favorite boy-based book?