Saturday, April 9, 2011

H is for ... Hockey (of course!)

What a surprise, right? Not really if you know me.

Let me tell you a story... I come from hockey players. My dad played, my older sister played, my brother played...you get the drift. None of them professional, although my dad did play on the practice squad for the Red Wings back when Gordy Howe was on the team. Anyway, my nephew started to play and my older son was enamored with watching his games. My husband and I finally relented and signed HockeyBoy up for Learn to Skate-Hockey. Well, it's been years and thousands of dollars since then, and HB is still going strong.

So, I spend a lot of time immersed in youth hockey. We're at the rink 2-3 times a week (sometimes more during the fall/winter season) and we're always researching/talking/complaining about hockey. Tryout seasons are not a fun place at my house.

We also watch a lot of hockey - either Red Wings, Plymouth Whalers, University of Michigan. You get the idea. Sometimes when one of our teams isn't playing, we'll find another game on just to watch. I know, it's a sickness.

It could be worse - I have friends who have 2 or 3 players in their families. Those are true hockey lovers! Although I would love for our other son to play, it doesn't bother me too much that he doesn't. :P

When I heard that whole line, write what you know, it seemed fitting that my main characters would play hockey. I helps that I love the sport and have a bit of knowledge about it.

Do you have central themes that exist in all of your books? Or do you enjoy reading books that revolve around a specific topic?

8 comments:

  1. I grew up in Wisconsin, so hockey was big. I played a lot as a kid, just messing around with the other neighborhood kids in the winter. Hockey is huge at the Univ. of Wisconsin. I remember the team winning the National Championship my junior year-very cool.

    The book I'm writing isn't about football, but football is always in the background, it unifies the characters. I think sports does that, it brings people together. I have an idea for a second book, and while it doesn't have any sports in it at the moment, it is built around the idea of bringing a group of people together. I guess all this is to say, I like books that throw people together for some reason and they have to work some things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim~ Sports is one of those things that brings people together, so for me it's an easy fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hockey moms I know are at the rinks all the time and they travel all over the place! it's crazy. Makes sense for you to incorporate that into your writing. I played soccer so would love some day to include that but the right story hasn't appeared yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter plays hockey and loves the Blues. I don't know much about the sport, but am a baseball fanatic instead and watch the Cardinals play every game on satellite TV. Haven't written about baseball yet, but I should.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Monti
    NotesAlongTheWay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hockey and played on the bogs in MA as a kid =)
    I've lived all over but I love Atlanta the most and wished I still lived there. That location is my theme.
    Happy H Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE hockey too. My absolute fav. We watch it as much as we can, and with the playoff coming up. . .well, let's just say I'll be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've married into a Sabres family, so I know where you're coming from. And, having roomed with a hockey player in college, I really know where you're coming from. I don't envy you the smell of HB's equipment.

    I haven't yet finished a novel, but I can't think of any themes that might twist their way through each of my 6-8 novel ideas. Hopefully, if there is one, it's awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for stopping by - I could go on and on about hockey. I love it so much. My husband always says, "I have two favorite teams; the one our son is on and the Red Wings." Spring hockey is in full force and the playoffs are about to start - what else could a hockeymom ask for?

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say