Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for ... Character

Undoubtedly one of the most important elements of any fiction writing is creating characters, both the main and the secondary (supporting) characters. Storyline will only take a reader so far. If the characters are not fully and completely developed, the reader will do what all authors DON'T want them to do - put down the book and never pick it back up again.

Here are a few quick examples of how to develop a character:
  • Create a character study which includes simple to complex information about the character. Examples are: name, age, gender, location (where do they live), likes/dislikes, occupation, fears, family members, friends, extra-curricular activities, biggest desire in life (or story), quirky behaviors, etc.
  • Description of a character will only get a reluctant reader so far. Through dialogue and action, characters can reveal much about themselves. Take for instance Willy Wonka. Could you imagine his character as a stuffy, old professor? The story would have been so different if he hadn't had those crazy conversations, ideas, and mannerisms.
  • Relationships with other characters show a lot about the main character. A good main character doesn't leave his best friend behind when there's trouble. Or perhaps, the two characters weren't really all that good of friends if either of them rats on the other to the principal.
 Who are your favorite characters either from childhood or now?

16 comments:

  1. I loved Laura Ingalls growing up, Cassie from LJ Smith's the secret circle, Harry Potter (ofcourse) and pretty much all of Kristan Higgan's characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atticus Finch, that's how I thought men should be, cool, principled and a dead-eye shot. Sadly turns out not that many around.
    regards
    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points. I toyed with the idea of writing about character, but couldn't resist talking about cats. Being allergic to anything is absolutely no fun, so I commiserate with your family. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky Austin, from the Madeleine L'Engle's books, and Laura Ingalls. I was not a big fan of Nancy Drew, but enjoyed Enid Blighton's characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie & Kim ~ I enjoyed Laura Ingalls as well growing up!

    Mooderino~ Yes, wouldn't it be nice if there were like that?!

    Madeleine~ I so do miss those pesky felines, but our dog will have to do. Character is something that I think a lot of writers automatically think about for C. It was nice to see others today that weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series..she's still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. Stopping by from A to Z challenge. I'm happy to follow a fellow writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree: character is key!

    As to my favourite? It's so difficult to choose ... maybe Alice (the one in Wonderland)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice - and how they speak and interact with different characters is key, too. Cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite characters are the ones currently living in my head. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce~ Yes, Anne Shirley was one of my favorites as well.

    Catherine~ Nice to see you here!

    K.C.~ Alice in Wonderland was a book that I read over and over again as a child. Guess it was the whole escape-from-reality that drew me in!

    D.U. ~ Yes, interaction is so important between characters. Thanks for stopping by!

    Margo~ Ha, ha! Love it! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with that affliction. We couldn't be writers if we didn't have those characters though, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margo, i agree...the characters in my head are chattering so loud right now I can't think of my favorite childhood book character :)
    Fun blog, I'll be back....
    http://www.sylviebranch.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so many favorites it is hard to choose. I guess its more of the characters' characteristics that draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blog, great post..
    I have tried (and FAILED) to write stories longer than 5,000 words, finding that I live better in the poetry world, but your tips are worthy of giving myself another try... Thank you for that !

    It was great to see you at our blog, happy that you enjoyed yourself there, hope to see you often !
    JL&B

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very true. Characters are so important. The one book I have read lately that I really had an issue with was a problem mostly because of the main character. If I have issues liking to a certain degree or at least caring about the main character, it makes it difficult to keep reading. I like to know characters, to follow their stories. Though I have a slight issue with names too. I need to know the character's name in the beginning. If I'm three chapters in and I can't remember the main character's name (especially in first person) then it's a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sylvia ~ Thanks for stopping by!

    Summaiyah ~ I agree with you.

    JL&B ~ I can not write poetry. When authors come to our press with a poetry manuscript, I cringe. I'm getting better at helping them, but could never attempt it on my own. I like the canvas of chapter books.

    Dawn ~ If I can't get into the character by the end of chapter 3, I put the book down. Because I read so much for my job, my personal choices for reading need to capture me. If they don't, I'm done. I never used to be like that - I'd always commit to the book, even if I wasn't enjoying it. Now, however, my time is more valuable and I want to read books that engage me.

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say