Saturday, April 16, 2011

N is for ... Nemesis

Nemesis (noun): someone or something that continues to oppose you and cannot easily be defeated. Thanks to Macmillan Dictionary Online for that definition.

Almost all stories have a nemesis, that bad guy or thing that our beloved main character can't seem to overcome, get away from, or defeat. One of the most famous of all nemesis of young adult books, I think, is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, aka Lord Voldemort of the Harry Potter series.

The nemesis (either tangible or intangible) is something that the author needs to take into account when starting a story. In writing workshops, I teach that each story should have a story question/problem which should be answered by the end of the book. If a series is written, there can be an underlying problem throughout all of the books which would ultimately be answered in the last book - look at Deathly Hallows in the HP series. HP's problem (nemesis) is finally taken care of.

But what if the character's nemesis isn't a person? What if it is something out of their control? Both Willy Wonka and Oliver Twist use poverty as a nemesis. Think about it? Would the stories have had an impact if both characters had come from the middle-class?

Which nemesis is your favorite?

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, there's nothing like a good nemesis. And it takes a delicate touch to write a great nemesis without going overboard into the ridiculous. Voldemort, Darth Vader, The Hellmouth (which spits out many nemesis's...nemesises...ahhh, can't spell it) . Anyway, so many good examples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary~ I agree- a writer has to be careful not to go too far, or we'll shut the book, leave the theater (well, not after paying that hefty movie ticket price), or turn the tv off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the well rounded nemesis. If I can sympathize with an antagonist then I'll love them. But they usually don't end up being the Voldemort type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura~ Yup, I've got no good feelings for Voldemort. He's a character we all love to hate, which shows how extraordinary JK Rowling is as an author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary got me wondering what the plural would be so I looked it up. It's nemeses. :)
    I try to give my antagonist something sympathetic - we all feel sorry for Darth Vader in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laura E! Now we all know. I do feel sorry for Darth Vader, but I don't for Voldemort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A resent nemesis that gave me chills was Billycan, "High collector of Stipend and Commander of the Kill Army," a white rat from Hilary Wagner's novel, Nighshade City.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Voldemort is a fabulous nemesis. He was so frightening, people wouldn't even say his name--except Harry and Dumbledore. Genius. I think the thing that make a truly great nemesis (if it's a person) is to make them have at least one redeeming or sympathetic trait/situation. They can't be 100% pure evil or it makes it harder to believe or care about, IMO. Protags need to have flaws, and antags need to have strengths. Or something like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the word nemesis. They are the backbone of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nemesis...I think in YA, nemeses are more frequently internal (i.e. something in themselves they have to overcome) but maybe that is just the moody emo stuff I read.
    Just read your profile...you and I have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta love a great villian. A well written one will drive a story forward like nothing else can.

    BTW....stop by my blog and find a special treat waiting for you there.

    Happy weekend, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally had a chance to visit some more of the A-Zers! Following :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post! And I love a good nemesis. Darth Vader is my favorite.

    Hopping over from A-Z. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bish~ I've never heard of that nemesis, but it certainly sounds scary!

    Sara~ I completely agree. We may feel a snitch bit sorry for Voldemort, but I doubt that anyone was routing for him to win.

    Holly~ I completely agree.

    Christa~ I totally agree about YA being something internal.

    E.C. ~ Villian are indeed part of the glue that keeps the story alive. I will stop by your blog for my treat! I wonder what it is...

    MM~Thanks for stopping by!

    Alison~ Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say