Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V is for ... Voracious

Voracious: having a huge appetite; excessively eager (thanks to Merriam-Webster online dictionary).

I've often referred to myself as a voracious reader. I've been known to be reading 3 or 4 books at a time. That was before I became an editor. Now, I'm lucky to read one book. I used to plow through a book, no matter how bad the writing or if I'd already figured out the plot half way through. I felt a sort of loyalty to the author to finish reading.

Unfortunately, I do not feel that way anymore.

I get many of my books from the library now. I try to read in multiple genres, and I oftentimes will read debut authors. I don't have the same loyalty to the author now, though. If I'm not entirely captivated by the story by chapter 3, I'm done with it. I sort of feel bad that I've become this type of reader. But I just don't have the time for bad writing.

How about you? Do you continue to read even if the writing is poor or if you've figured the whole thing out?

6 comments:

  1. I'm just like you - I used to finish every book I started, but now not so much. There's not enough time to finish a book that doesn't interest me. I'm not as voracious as I used to be.

    Some authors I will still finish the whole book, just cuz. I love Chris Bojahlian's lyrical writing, but found myself skipping entire sections of Secrets of Eden, because it was a more plot driven novel, and I wanted to see if I'd figured it out. I "finished" it, but couldn't say I read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a slow reader, one book at a time, but I've always got something by my bedside. And...though I hate to do it, I am slowly turning into a reader such as yourself. If a story hasn't got me hooked in the first few chapters or I don't like the style of writing, I put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the writing is poor and predictable no. I don't have that kind of time anymore plus there are so many great books out there that I'll probably never get to, why waste time on a bad one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the writing is poor, or the story bores me, then no. I won't go by if I've figured out the plot, though. There have been several times I've been taken by surprise - and not an ex deus machina either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you--I'm an incredibly voracious reader but I've gotten to the point where, if I'm not enjoying the book, I won't finish it. Okay, sometimes I do skim it or read the end to find out what happens just because it brings closure for me. It all depends. But I want to be entertained, to be sucked into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow all! I'm amazed that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I wonder what that means - are there a lot of books being published that are bad?

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say