Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for ... Octopus

Back to my hockey theme, but not about writing. Thanks to Wikipedia, here's what we fans in Detroit already know during Red Wings playoffs:

The Legend of the Octopus is a sports tradition during Detroit Red Wings home playoff games where octopodes are thrown onto the ice surface. The origins of the activity go back to the 1952 playoffs, when a National Hockey League team played two best-of-seven series to capture the Stanley Cup. The octopus, having eight arms, symbolized the number of playoff wins necessary for the Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup. The practice started April 15, 1952 when Pete and Jerry Cusimano, brothers and storeowners in Detroit's Eastern Market, hurled an octopus into the rink of The Old Red Barn.[1] The team swept the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens en route to winning the championship, as well as winning two of the next three championships.
Since 1952 the practice has persisted with each passing year. In one 1995 game, fans threw 36 octopuses, including a specimen weighing 38 pounds (17 kg).[2] The Red Wings' unofficial mascot is a purple octopus named Al, and during playoff runs two of these mascots are also hung from the rafters of the Joe Louis Arena, symbolizing the 16 wins now needed to win the Stanley Cup. It has become such an accepted part of the team's lore, that fans have developed what is considered proper etiquette and technique for throwing an octopus onto the ice.

Do you have any sports traditions in your town?

11 comments:

  1. Well, not my town per se but I live in Jets/Giants country which is also Yankee country although I'm a Phillies fan : ) There are lots of traditions associated with all of these teams and they're fun to see even if you're rooting for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce~It is a lot of fun, but I would never be caught with an octopus. Plus, there's a $500 fine and ejection from the game if caught throwing one of the 8-legged creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. When I was in high school, someone tossed an octopus on the ice. Never knew why. Thanks for the info. And hey, Detroit Red Wings??? Did I tell you that we know Jimmy Howard?? Yeah, Jake (son #2) skated with Jimmy a few times. Jake was a goalie for almost 7 years. Jimmy worked with him while he attend University of Maine. We have pictures with him, and he even signed an 8x10. The best thing, though, is that Jake had the same pads Jimmy did. Jimmy put them on at a UMO practice one time. Haha...he thought that was so funny. He signed Jake's pads, blocker, and glove. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have much, but for a number of years my high school football team did have a tradition of losing every single game. (Okay, that's an exaggeration; one of them was a tie). And I suppose there was the tradition of most people not caring a lick about the Whalers until they picked up and moved to Carolina...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri~ That's awesome! We know the Osgoods. My younger (non-hockey playing) son has been in class with their oldest daughter for two years - Kindergarten, and now in 4th grade. My older son used to participate in Cub Scouts and many of the meetings were at the house next to the Osgoods. At the year-end Cub Scout party - when the Wings won one of the Cups - the boys made a huge Octopus banner for Ozzie. After they presented it to them, all of the boys (Ozzie included) played hockey on their all-turf/sport court in the Osgood's backyard, Ozzie was in net naturally. Older son scored on him three times and was thrilled! Ozzie wasn't wearing any pads, of course. I later told Jenna, his wife, to thank Chris for me because it was such a huge deal for Nick to score on a Stanley-Cup winning goalie, even if it wasn't for real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate~ Well, even losing can be a tradition - but hopefully one that was broken at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are Rockies fans...and hubby goes a step further and watched the Broncos and the Nuggets. I can only handle baseball. Something about it I just LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luana~ My younger son played softball one summer. I have to admit it was too slow for me. After he'd hit the ball and start running toward first base, I'd be yelling, "Skate! Skate!" <-Can't take the hockeymom out of the rink, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love learning things like this. Very cool! I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool bit of trivia! I never knew this before. It sounds like it would be fun to work it into a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sylvia~ So glad to meet you! I'll be sure to head over to your blog. I love meeting new people!

    Andrea~ I will have to figure it out somehow, but I'm sure one manuscript will have this in there. It's a huge part of playoff season.

    ReplyDelete

What Adventurers have to say